Network Attached Storage

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smogsy, Jan 17, 2008.

1. smogsy macrumors 6502a

im going to buy macbook 2.2 model (white) this sat ans i

im also going to purchase a external network hardrive 500GB/750GB and spilt it in to 4 main partitions

1 for time manchine for macbook
    1 for for pc related files
    1 for Muti platform computers
    1 for pc backups

the ones that the mac will access wich type of formating should i use i heard macs cant read ntfs so guessing it can only read fat/fat32?

2. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend.

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ which fits the bill, but may be overkill for what your looking for as its a 4 disk solution.

With a Network drive you shouldn't need to worry about the format, as the NAS deals with that. The NAS advertises protocols that your PC/MAC recognizes and uses as a remote drive (AFP - Mac and CIFS? for PC).

I haven't used any of the 2 disk solutions, but there's a handful of them that should work for you.

Just a quick note, Time Machine on a Networked drive isn't supported out of the box. I have it working as do a handful of others, but I had to do some jumping through hoops to get it to work.

My NAS came with backup software, so you may want to look to use that as part of your purchasing decision so you don't have to go out and spend another $100 for backup software.

3. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Hopefully they enable Time Machine on the Network with relase the 10.5.2 for leopard since the new Time Capsule is coming out, but in reality it would kill the sale of TC if they do this.