Network bandwidth usage

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by philstone, Apr 30, 2014.

1. philstone macrumors 6502

Hi, I'm looking for some software that I can use to monitor network bandwidth usage for all network devices - I have RubberNet which tells me what I need, however its clunky as there's no overall usage screen, and it doesn't tell me about mobile devices.

I'm using an AEBS - perhaps a different router might help?

Cheers

2. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

If you are not using WiFi off the router you could put in a switch between the router and the rest of the network. Then monitor the port on the switch for traffic.

If you own the modem / router you can monitor it via snmp, but if you rent it your tel co / cable co will not share the pass with you.

3. mikepj macrumors regular

Airport base stations support SNMP monitoring, so you should be able to do this with the current equipment you already have.

A quick Google search found NetUse:
    http://www.netuseapp.com

I have iNet, which will monitor the current bandwidth being used, but it doesn't aggregate the traffic to tell you the total traffic over a certain amount of time. For aggregate statistics, I have a Linux server running Cacti, which can monitor the Airport base stations and graph the traffic for the last day/week/month/year.

4. philstone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - I use iNet as well - but that tells me when someone is hammering our connection - I need something which will tell me who is hammering it - Rubbernet does it but I have to connect to each and every laptop to see whats using all the bandwidth..

Cheers

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Just as a note, Apple dropped SNMP support with the latest 6th generation "tower" style AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule...

6. mikepj macrumors regular

That’s disappointing to hear the newest Airport base stations don’t include SNMP. That might be a deal-breaker for me ever getting one of the ac models. Might have to jump to another brand the next time I do an upgrade.

As for the original question about monitoring specific hosts. There are options out there, but nothing that is very Mac-like. I use Munin (http://munin-monitoring.org) running on a Linux server. Macs can install the Munin-Node utility using MacPorts, and then the primary Munin server connects to each Node every 5 minutes to get the latest network usage (along with a bunch of other stats). It’s not easy to setup though.

I have a system monitor called XRG (http://www.gauchosoft.com/xrg/) that only runs on a local host. Maybe it’s time for me to add some remote monitoring features to it…