Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
my first post. i have duel G5...running panther...

my problem...among many....is the network browsing slow in OSX? i click on a fileserver...and it seems like it takes forever to read the file list. is this a panther isssue...or a slow fileserver issue?

on a side note....my duel G5 goes dark sometimes...the screen goes dead....cant wake up....have to reboot...the hard drive revs in an ackward sound...and then boots...is this a hard drive issue?

...and flash mx 04 crashes all the time :(

thanks for any replies gang.

scottwat

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Ohio USA
Hoth said:
my problem...among many....is the network browsing slow in OSX? i click on a fileserver...and it seems like it takes forever to read the file list. is this a panther isssue...or a slow fileserver issue?

I guess it would depend on the network is it ethernet or wireless? Also what kind of fileserver? SMB on windows? Or apple fileshare? Also what is your idea of slow. I know mine a g4 600mhz powerbook takes about 30 seconds to a minute to propogate a list of the servers if on wireless once its connected to a fileserver it seems pretty fast. But again it may depend on your network and alot on network traffic.

scottwat

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Ohio USA
Just a side idea

How much ram are you running and did the ram come with the G5 or was it generic or namebrand? That could cause some issues running as fast a frontside bus as those do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.