Network cable setup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dom.mason, Mar 24, 2010.

1. dom.mason macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I hope I can get some help/confirmation. This is for a UK house.

I will be moving into a new house that is currently being built so I asked about getting some network cable installed before the plaster board got put up etc etc. Basically they said yes but I will need to provide the cable and faceplates etc. So my idea was to put a double cat6 faceplate by the tv for a possible Apple TV / Mac mini in the future and one in the study (second floor, double faceplate again). So can I put a faceplate in the study (Running a cable to them both) and then plug the one in the study to my router (Standard 02 router). Would this work?

I hope this is clear enough. If not feel free to ask for clarification. Just to summarise though. Two faceplates, one in living room and one in study. Study one connected to router, living room one connected to apple tv.

Many thanks

Dominic

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I would have 4 by the tv tbh have 2 in your office.

Reason I would say four is tv's and DVDs are becoming smart and will eventually need to be connected to your network add an atv plus maybe a ps3 or xbox and there is your four.

Obviously you want cat6 cable and all the connections need to terminate somewhere ie a simple patch panel.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i agree with gav, 3 in TV room. 2 in study, 2 in bedroom, 1 for each of the kids rooms, on near the kitchen somewhere, and def one for the garage.

i will be doing that when i build a house :D my house will be completely networked so i can turn on/off lights etc!

its always best to plan for the future. so please use cat6e!

4. dom.mason thread starter macrumors newbie

If I wanted more in the future could I not add a switch by the tv?

I didn't want to go into to much detail but basically my partner and I will be renting it from her parents (Were still at University until September) and so will not be there forever.

Could I not terminate both ends with a faceplate and then simply connect the faceplate in the study to the router and the faceplate in the living room to the atv or something?

Kids? Not just yet methinks ;-)

I will definitely be using cat6 but should I use patch wiring or crossover?

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Patch cable yes you could add switches but cable costs less.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If you're building the house, best idea is just to wire up every single room, seeing as you're already thinking ahead. I'm living in a relatively new house, and every room has 2 Cat5e (the house ain't that big, so no cat6 isn't the end of the world). It's not necessary seeing that not every room needs high bandwidth, just where it's needed, wireless will eventually catch up to some level.

And with that setup you may want to invest in some a good value gigabit switch.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you could always do that :)

ahh right. im with ya

yup that will work fine

ahhh being young is awsome :) im 20! last year of uni

hmm it doesnt matter for macs. they auto sense. for windows its better to use crossover, just to be safe. things like printers etc might have trouble sensing that too.

even 100mbit is fine for 99% of users! we wired up our house about 2 years ago, best decision ever! transferring data is a breeze :D i love it! so much better then 802.11g :( *snorefest*

its just a temp system for the OP apparently. but yea, go with gigabit switches, you never know what will happen!

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'll repeat what I said. Use patch cabling not crossover.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

whats your reasoning other then costs?

10. dom.mason thread starter macrumors newbie

What about an apple tv or similar device to router? Both laptops (one windows one mac) will be in the study directly connected to router or wireless.

I only wanted the cable by the tv for a streamer, not really bothered about cable for anywhere in the house, as I said in my previous post we wont be there forever :)

Can I just say thanks for all the replies so far. Just wanted confirmation that I could terminate the wiring using faceplates in both rooms.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

most modern switches/routers have auto sensing (its built into the 1000gbit protocol), so nothing to worry about there. all apple devices will have it too, they have since around 2001 i believe. :D

no problems for replies. bed time for me now, will check back in the morning!

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Patch cable offers alot more flexibility in components plus cross platform. Added to the fact if you need one line as a cross over for a reason I can't think of you could just use a cross over cable from the wall to device on one side solving the issue.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not to mention that many modern devices, including all Macs IIRC, will automatically do the crossover internally if needed, if you use a patch.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hahahaha ok then you have me convinced by your good example :D

i saids that :) haha