Network: Cannot limit sharing / (and XP question)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ICEBreaker, Feb 9, 2008.

1. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Dear Leopard users,

I have been having some annoying problems. I am trying to share folders on my Mac with an XP machine that is connected through ethernet.

The first time I login from XP using SMB, I used the administrator login and was stupid enough to save the login details. Now that I have set up a limited account just for folder sharing, however, XP still keeps logging in with my administrator details. I've used "rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr" to bring up the "Stored User Name and Passwords" console and deleted the correct item, however, it still remembers the login!

Regardless, I decided to use FTP instead, and this time, I used the limited account login details. However, I was able to roam outside of my shared folders, and into supposedly secured areas. This happened with SMB too, but I assumed it was because I was in the administrator account that first time.

I've obviously checked my Sharing Preference Pane, and I have only set up one folder for sharing!

To recap, I have two problems:
    [1] How do I make XP forgot my login, if I have already removed it using "rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr"? I know this is an XP question.
    [2] Why am I sharing all folders instead of just the one I have specified? What can I do?

This is really odd and frustrating.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
    JC

2. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

The easiest way that comes to my mind is changing the password in your administrator account on the mac, that way the next time the XP box tries to acces your account, it will give you an error message and prompt you for a new user/password combination

3. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

Dear CDCastillo,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I've tried that before, hoping it would prompt me for new login details. However, what happens is that it simply says I do not have the correct privileges and cannot access the folder. Once I change the password back, it allows me to access it again. Therefore, changing the password does not work in this case. It's very odd, and quite frustrating.

-