Network cant locate IP/Router using DHCP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by babylonsteve, May 8, 2008.

1. babylonsteve macrumors newbie

Having trouble on my mac while trying to connect to the internet using the built in Ethernet.

It says under network: Built in Ethernet is currently active. Built in ethernet has a self assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet.

I hit the IPv6 and/or DHCP and it locates a IP just not a router number. Is this what is stopping it from connecting? Please help as I have an AP test I would like to study for....

Thanks for your time

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

1. Check your ethernet cable to make sure it's good. Try another cable. You should see a link light (look at the status indicators) on your router if it is making connection. You may have to reboot.
    2. Disable IPv6
    3. Try a PRAM reset and Safe boot if the above doesn't work.

3. babylonsteve thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I Disable IPv6. What would this achieve? Can I undo that if it doesnt work?
    how do I do a PRAM reset. What does this do?

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

1. To disable IPv6 go to System Preferences -> Network. Select your connection from the left, click "Advanced". There you can disable it.

2. At reboot as soon as you hear the "bong" immediately hold down (and keep holding) command-option-p-r until you hear the third bong and then let go. The PRAM (Parameter RAM) information can get corrupted with too many changes. This will reset it.

5. cosmic macrumors newbie

no solution found...?

I have the same issue and the same message under Ethernet in Network.

My Mini is running Leopard and I turned on Airport and Internet Sharing for the first time the other day so I can have wireless on the MacBook Pro (running Tiger). Later, after Airport was turned off on both machines, the Mini no longer got a proper IP, just 169.*. Tried the usual maintenance tasks, but no help.

Now, I can access the internet wirelessly on the MBP but not on the Mini which is supplying the wired connection using Ethernet (Self-assigned IP). :confused:

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I need more information about your setup.

Are you using a router? If so what make and model?

On your macbook mini and pro (keep them separated)

1. How are you connecting, dhcp or by a static ip address. In other words, give me specifics about your Network settings in System Prefs for both the ethernet connections and airport connections.

2. Are you using the "Automatic" location, or did you create a new location in network prefs?

Post your info and then we can go further.

7. cosmic macrumors newbie

Wireless Airport connection working!

Thank you Merl1n. Not an active forum poster. ;) I gave up on having wireless...however today...

I just updated the OS and made a change in the Network settings.
    Setting the Mac Mini Ethernet connection to "Using BootP", gives the status "No IP Address". The MacBookPro now connects to the Internet via Airport.

Don't think it's a solution but it's working after months.

To answer your questions:

Mini, Leopard (latest updates from today)
    - Connected to ISP DSL modem (not sure if this is a router)
    - Configure IPv4: Using PPP, Configure IPv6: Automatically
    - Airport turned on, Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
    - Ethernet, Configure: Using BootP, No IP Address
    (When Ethernet is set to DHCP, it receives a Self-assigned IP)
    - Using the "Automatic" location

MacBookPro, Tiger (latest updates)
    - Airport, Configure: IPv4: Using DHCP, Configure IPv6: Off
    - Using the "Automatic" location

Attached Files:

8. unpickme macrumors newbie

Network cant locate IP/Router using DHCP

I had a similar problem. It appeared when I installed a new router, so I spent days working through every possible cause I could think of - and that is how I stumbled across this forum.

An additional problem was that, even when I entered the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Router addresses manually, I could not connect to the internet, despite the router showing there was a connection and the ethernet status saying that I was connected to the router. And the wireless part of the router working fine for my laptop, but not down the ethernet port.

Three ethernet cables later, the solution, at least in my case, was painfully simple:

create a new location, select "Using DHCP" in the Configure IPv4 box
    click on "Renew DHCP Lease"
    click on "Apply Now"

Feel smug and open beer (optional) :cool: