Network Card issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jwracca, Mar 31, 2009.

1. jwracca macrumors newbie

I am not certain i am in the correct location, but i will ask.

A customer just bought the MacBook Air. I am having issues with the LAN. The airport connects to the neighbor's wireless perfect, with no internet issues at all. But if i disable the airport, enable the network ethernet, Set ethernet to DHCP, i pull the correct IP, Sub, Gate and dns's . But i cannot connect to the internet, But i can see the network. NOW, if i set the card to static, (the ip of the macbook is 192.168.0.24) and i enter the correct IP information, i get error that 192.168.0.254 is incorrect ip and is not the correct subnet. But when dhcp is enabled it pulls the correct IP, Sub, gateway and dns's.. Anyone have a idea what would cause this?

2. stoconnell macrumors 6502

I'd take a look at the output from

netstat -rn

look for routes associated with en0 or weird host routes, etc. It might be your neighbor uses a similar range with a different netmask, etc

ifconfig -a

I would assume that USB ethernet shows up as en1 with the wireless at en0

Does this behavior continue across a reboot with the wireless card disabled? This way you would start with pristine network environment. It sounds like something is confused. If you are doing a 192.168.0.0/24, both 192.168.0.24 and 192.168.0.254 should be valid IPs. Is your gateway .1? or .254?