Network Card issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jwracca, Mar 31, 2009.

1. jwracca macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2009
    I am not certain i am in the correct location, but i will ask.

A customer just bought the MacBook Air. I am having issues with the LAN. The airport connects to the neighbor's wireless perfect, with no internet issues at all. But if i disable the airport, enable the network ethernet, Set ethernet to DHCP, i pull the correct IP, Sub, Gate and dns's . But i cannot connect to the internet, But i can see the network. NOW, if i set the card to static, (the ip of the macbook is and i enter the correct IP information, i get error that is incorrect ip and is not the correct subnet. But when dhcp is enabled it pulls the correct IP, Sub, gateway and dns's.. Anyone have a idea what would cause this?
  2. stoconnell macrumors 6502

Mar 22, 2009
    Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
    I'd take a look at the output from

netstat -rn

look for routes associated with en0 or weird host routes, etc. It might be your neighbor uses a similar range with a different netmask, etc

ifconfig -a

I would assume that USB ethernet shows up as en1 with the wireless at en0

Does this behavior continue across a reboot with the wireless card disabled? This way you would start with pristine network environment. It sounds like something is confused. If you are doing a, both and should be valid IPs. Is your gateway .1? or .254?