Network computer showing in Finder more than once

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fb6668, Oct 24, 2014.

1. fb6668 macrumors newbie

I have an iMac and a MBP, both on Yosemite. The iMac is connected via ethernet to a Time Capsule, which provides my wifi network. The iMac has its wifi card turned off. The MBP connects to the network via wifi.

Recently, both computers are showing multiple instances of each other in the Shared section of the Finder. It is not possible to connect to all of these, only one of each.

Additionally, my iTunes library (which is served by my iMac) shows up multiple times on my AppleTV (connected via wifi).

Can anyone give any hint as to how to fix this? I do a lot of sharing between my machines and trying to figure out which is the current active one is a real waste of time.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. fb6668 thread starter macrumors newbie

I fixed this by rebooting my Time Capsule that provides the wifi network. It left me with a number in parenthesis next to the network name, but I solved that by following the information in this article http://www.cnet.com/news/computer-showing-on-network-with-2-next-to-name/ which says to turn off file sharing in system prefs, then rename the computer (remove the parenthesis) and then re-enable file sharing.