Network Configuration Guidance

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by IronCle, Aug 6, 2014.

1. IronCle macrumors newbie

My existing network consists of the Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11n with an 802.11n Airport Express, 802.11g Airport Extreme, and 802.11g Airport Express being used to extend the network. I thought it was a good idea but I am reading that it may not be because since my Wifi may be downgraded to 802.11g across the board. Is that true?

I am also considering using the newest Time Capsule but I always suffer from buyer’s remorse so I have not opened the box yet. With that being said if I do use the 802.11ac Time Capsule should I not use the 802.11n Airport Extreme and Express to extent the network? Also should I try to hold out for 802.11ad or 802.11ae?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try removing everything but the new Time Capsule. It is more powerful then the older models and may satisfy your needs unless this is a large building or home.

3. IronCle thread starter macrumors newbie

Results

I have been testing this for a week and it appears that signal that comes out of the Time Capsule alone is the same as when all the other 802.11n devices are extending the network. What I want to know now is if the signal coming from my wireless n devices are downgrading to the 802.11n signal or is remaining 802.11ac?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I do not understand your question. The signal coming from the Time Capsule on the 5 GHz band should be AC. Of course, 5 GHz compatible N clients can connect at N speed. Since the Time Capsule supports simultaneous dual band transmissions, connecting an N device would not slow AC devices to N speeds.

5. IronCle, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014

IronCle thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what I have been wanting to know

I wanted to know if my speeds would drop to 802.11n once my older wireless n devices extend the network. Thank you for confirming that my speeds will remain 802.11ac.

You seem to have understood my question but sorry for the any confusion anyway.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A bit of a guessing game but I am glad it helped.