Network connection and school

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by downingp, Feb 1, 2008.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

I am having trouble accessing my mail app program when I am on my school's network. I am also having trouble accessing "back to my mac" on my school's network as well. The mail app and "back to my mac" work great on other networks I have tried.
    I am guessing I am not able to access mail and "back to my mac" on my school's network because of a firewall issue. Could this be the case?
    Is there any work around so I am able to check email and use "back to my mac"?

Thanks.

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Firewall could definitely be the issue with both - but especially back to my mac.

What isn't working with your mail? Can you receive but not send? Some networks restrict outbound mail to use their mail server, and unless you have access to that server, you may not be able to send.

I would be surprised if you couldn't receive mail though. Maybe the school is locked down more than I am used to.

Did you try a web mail interface? That may work for you to see your mail, although sending can be an issue, since messages sent through web mail don't usually show up in your "Sent Items" folder if you need them later.

3. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not able to receive or send mail through the mail app program. It works fine when I am home though. I can check my mail through .mac though when I am at school

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

That does sound like a firewall issue then. Maybe they lock everything down so the kids don't access things other then the web, during school...

5. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Since it is a firewall problem probably, does that mean there is not a work around fix to get around the firewall?

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Try using a proxy server. Type it into your Network Preferences, and then see if your data goes through.

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

If it is a firewall issue, that means that they are probably blocking the specific ports that you need to use for mail.

I'm not sure a proxy would help, since you would still be using the same ports to access the proxy - but I could be wrong here.

What about using the SSL options for mail? In Mail/Preferences, I think there are options to use SSL (which is a different - less well known port), and maybe those would work. That would also depend on your mail service provider.

Have you tried talking to anyone at the school? I am not sure if this is an option or not (it wasn't clear if you were a student, or faculty, or something else). When you can't send mail, it is often possible to setup a second SMTP (outbound) mail server with their settings, and use that one to send through.

That won't help receiving mail though.

Webmail is the only other thing I can think of. If your mail provider doesn't have a web mail interface, you might try one of the free third party ones like http://www.mail2web.com. You do have to give them your e-mail password though, so I don't know how you feel about that.