Network connection refused error/fixed by creating new account

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GelleCC, Jul 31, 2013.

1. GelleCC, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

GelleCC macrumors regular

GelleCC

I'll try to make this short and sweet but I'd like to post the background. I've "fixed" the main problem but have a question about transferring files between accounts. I'll post that at the bottom where the BOLD will be. Here's the story.

I wanted to stream some stuff from my macbook (A1181 on SL 10.6.8 with newest version of itunes) to my Apple TV2 on whatever the newest firmware is. I hop on itunes to put the episodes into iTunes, everything goes smoothly. I try to turn on home sharing and I get "unknown error occurred (-some random error number)". I googled the error number but was led nowhere. I'm signed into my itunes account, but can't turn on home sharing (kept asking me to sign in). I try to authorize my account but same deal but with TWO error messages: "Uknown error occurred" and "Network connection was refused" again, random error numbers that led nowhere.

Now, I don't have a firewall turned on; no antivirus/security installed on my mac; I'm behind a router; and in system prefs, no proxies were checked. Internet was working fine. I read a few threads that mentioned the network connection refusal issue so I followed those. I was directed to delete the "NetworkInterfaces.plist". Restarted the mac, and restarted my internet. Everything seemed fine.

Tried Authorizing/home sharing again but same issue. Read some other forums that said to repair permissions. So, opened Disk Utility and repaired permissions. 1.5 hours later, I came back and same thing - unknown errors. I followed this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1277 and repaired permissions this way. Same issue.

I read one other thing to check if I could establish a secure connection using gs.apple.com (I think) and sure enough, I can't! I make sure that there are no proxies, https and http are off in system preferences>network>proxies. (Internet is still working fine, just no secure APPPLE sites). I figured I'd try to reinstall itunes. I go to the download page - everything loads, but (in Chrome) on the left side bar (where you download itunes) it's gray with the "broken chrome" image and says "network connection refused" Like this: [​IMG].

I start to check to verify I am on the most recent version of Snow Leopard and sure enough, "can't establish a connection to the servers". Then I check Safari... Nothing loads. Even Firefox... nothing loads. Only chrome but nothing accessing Apple's servers (except for their main sites). Skype works, chrome works, everything else seems fine!

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO SKIPPED THE STORY, HERE'S MY QUESTION AFTER A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHAT I DID.

I figure something is wrong with my account. I create a new Admin account, restart the mac and alas, EVERYTHING seems to be working. I just logged into the OLD account and can still only access some things (for example, I CANT get on imgur.com...). While everything seems to be working on the NEW account, I have yet to check itunes home sharing and whatnot but that's partly due to having no files on this account) which brings me to my question. I'd like to migrate ALL of my stuff from my old Admin account to this NEW admin account. I want to delete the old account since something in there is causing problems. I could have done an archive/install but I just moved and don't particularly want to look for my install stuff. So, will Migration Assistant do the job?

Or will I need to go into Old Account > put everything into shared folder. Go into new account > put everything from shared folder into new account. From new account > system prefs> delete old Admin account?

I'd rather not dig out my old External HDD and transfer that way. Is there a simple way to just make the old account become the new account sans-settings/plists/etc that was likely the cause of the original issue?

Thanks in advance.

2. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

Well, isn't this a little silly - I had used my laptop at a public location and was using "peer guardian". I then went home and didn't use my laptop for several days. When I DID try to use my laptop, I forgot that peer block had been on and I blocked a lot of incoming connections. Low and behold - the new account I made didn't have the peer guardian settings I made. Well, Problem solved.