Network Connectivity Issues After Startup

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by editonmac, Oct 23, 2014.

1. editonmac macrumors newbie

Hey guys!!!

So When Yosemite beta first came out, I installed it on my 2009 Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is hardwired 100% of the time with Cat6 ethernet cable to a gigabit switch, uses DHCP and has static DNS servers set. This all gets connected to my first generation time capsule. ANYWAYS I would have this issue where whenever I booted it up, it would have an IP address and everything but just not have any internet working for about 15 minutes or so (yet it could communicate with other devices on the network (such as the Time Capsule and other computers) just fine during this time). Anyways around beta 3 or so this seemingly went away. I installed the final release (build 14A389) and now the issue is back. I did some experiments (switch to wifi, use the other ethernet port, etc) and it still does this. Meanwhile, every other device connected to the switch (a WAP, 2 PCs, Apple TV, etc) work fine. Now here is where it gets weirder... I upgraded from Mavericks straight to Yosemite on my 2012 MacBook Pro (which I generally use on wifi) and it exhibits the same issue (on my network at least).

Anyone have any clues as to what's going on or as how I can fix it? I've tried static IPs, going from wifi to wired and vice versa, etc. Do you think this is a Yosemite bug affecting all networks or just a bug affecting how Yosemite computers communicate with my network?

In case anyone is wondering, my wifi network consists of 2 Apple routers (an 802.11N Airport Express and a Time Capsule) and a Cisco WAP (802.11N), all Cat6 wiring, and the switch in question is a 16 port Cisco unmanaged gigabit switch.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
    -Chris

2. editonmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick update:

This does not exclusively apply to my network. At school today, my MacBook Pro joined the wifi network just fine, and the school's login page for the network instantly showed up. Once I logged in however, I was not able to access any internet for about 10 minutes or so. I was able to connect to other computers on the network just fine, and even the intranet sites. But anything outside the local network would not connect for about 10 minutes or so. This is not limited to Safari either; Firefox and Dropbox exhibit the same issues. Any ideas? My DNS is statically set to Google's servers (which work fine on every other device). I'm not sure where to go from here.