Network Drive as Local Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Clusty, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Clusty macrumors regular

Is there any way to mount a drive over my Home Network as a Local Drive on my MacBook?

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Yes. Click so that your menu bar says "finder" and do either Control/Apple/Command(whatever you know that button by) + Shift + K (press and hold a then b then c)

That should pop up your "network" window. You can also access it by going under your menu bar within finder - in the "go" tab.

You should see the computer or drive in there - and double-click to mount it on your desktop. If you get an authentication notice - and there is no user name or password required for the drive/directory you require access to - leave it blank, and remember it in your keychain so you don't get it next time around. If credentials are required - that is where you type them in.

You can even set up network volumes to automatically mount upon OSX login - but I can't remember how I did it - it was a long time ago. I think putting the alias created into your "accounts" login pref-pane. You can dig it up on here via search easily.

3. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but I meant as in my Mac thinking it was a USB or FireWire drive.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Well - mine just shows up as a drive on my desktop - I don't know what you mean otherwise?

On my desktop I have:
    Mac HD
    Untitled (bootcamp partition)
    Firewire Drive
    WD Network Drive

They all appear the same, and function the same when it comes to read/write drag/drop, ect... Obviously the network partition is considerably slower than the FW or internal drives. And I cannot read/write to my Bootcamp partition due to the way I formatted it.

What else are you looking to do?

5. ralfaroh macrumors newbie

I am in the same position, i want to mount a network drive for the system to see it as a usb HD, this is because i would like to use my network drive with Time machine