Network Drive as Time Machine Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by the advisor, Nov 16, 2008.

1. the advisor macrumors member

The purpose of this question is to find a simple solution as to how to use a shared external hard drive as a (mountable) time machine backup location.

The setup is as follows: In the office I have my modem connected to a Linksys WRN160 wireless router. I have a PB G4 plugged into the router via ethernet, with a (shared) FW800 external HD plugged into the PB. The PB is set up as somewhat of a 'server' in the sense that it hosts the printing and shared storage, and operates closed 99% of the time. Floating around the house are three other apple laptops of the garden variety.

I have the drive shared, and am able to access (will not mount on the desktop) it for purposes of a common data storage location, but have been unable to set the drive up as a mountable backup location. I have searched the interwebs and have one been able to come back with very complex solutions to this problem. It seems that it would be a very simple thing to accomplish. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. danny_w macrumors 601

Is the PB wth the drive attached running Leopard? That is a requirement for Time Machine on another machine to "see" the drive. There are tricks to get around this but I wouldn't trust them, and you certainly would not get support from Apple in such a case.

4. the advisor thread starter macrumors member

That worked excellent! Thank you very much.

I have everything running the latest version of leopard.

5. the advisor thread starter macrumors member

So if I wanted to back up multiple machines, is it plausible to just partition the drive and have each machine backup to a different partition? Logically this makes sense, however I have learned that it does not mean that it will work.