Network Drive Help

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by DonkiestOfKongs, Jul 24, 2011.

1. DonkiestOfKongs macrumors newbie

Hi all. Trying to set up a network drive for my family to be able to use. I am using a Cisco Linksys E3200 Router (if that is important). My question is what filesystem should the hard drive be in order to make sure that I (using Lion), my mother and brother (using Snow Leopard), and my father (using Windows XP) are all able to read/write etc. I have googled extensively to no avail so I figured I'd ask you intelligent people.

Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Part of the point of NAS is that it doesn't matter. You should use the file system the router recommends.

The underlying file system is abstracted by the NAS to SMB/CIFS or AFP or NFS or ... for the client OS.

That said. Lion requires a particular version of AFP for Time Machine that is not (yet) in most NAS devices. So just keep that in mind.

B

3. DonkiestOfKongs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply.

Yeah I discovered that early on :-\ Carbon Copy Cloner would allow me to select the network drive as a destination but it wouldn't write.

However I went to the router configuration page my dad's computer with XP, and it said that the attached USB drive wasn't compatible, and I couldn't find it when trying to map the drive. However everything worked well on mine (a good example of, "It just works," perhaps).