Network drive permissions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by apeltes, Jan 11, 2015.

1. apeltes macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook air.
    I use a Netgear WNDR 3700 router.
    I have a Seagate 2TB USB drive attached to the router.

I reformatted the drive to Mac Extended (Journaled).

When connected directly to the Macbook, everything works fine. Read, write, delete, etc.

When connected through the wireless network, I can read but that's it. I cannot delete or write. I'm told I do not have permission. I'm told I have "custom permission".

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Format it to FAT32. You'll need a much more sophisticated router if you're hoping for Time Machine or HFS+ support.

3. apeltes thread starter macrumors newbie

One if the main reasons I use the network drive is to store movies for multiple Apple TVs. FAT has a file size limit issue as I understand it...

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Yes 4GB, but your Netgear 3700 is only a very basic NAS. You might try exFAT but I have no idea if it's supported on the factory firmware. There was a Mac version of that router (it was white) but it's still just simple attached storage.

Some folks install 3rd party firmware to add features but this can brick your router so...
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1789357

Or consider buying a NAS such as Synology or QNAP. A good NAS will have Time Machine support and a smart Mac user will want a backup solution.

5. apeltes thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac. Is the Airport line of routers an option? I need something that will give me remote access while away from home as well as access within the wireless network at home.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Then consider an entry level NAS, I prefer Synology. It'll work with your existing router.