Network drive problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by colinet, Apr 18, 2007.

1. colinet macrumors 6502

I've just bought a network drive box and installed a MSDos Fat32 formatted drive into it and connected it to my Mac with an ethernet cable. When I try and - 'go' - 'connect to server' and get to the SMB/CIFS file system authentication window, I can't get it to accept any password. I just get an error code -50. I might have set a password, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is?

Where can I find it?

Is it stored on my Mac or the drive itself or the hardware in the drive case?
    If it's on the drive then i'm quite happy to reformat it as there's no data on there anyway (apart from some odd stuff I can see when i connect the drive by USB, wich I assum the MsDos formatting put there)

I'm running 10.4.9 on a dual G5

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK, this is a RTM situation we have here.

A Network Attached Storage (NAS) device consists of a tiny embedded *NIX server, bolted onto a hard disk controller and an Ethernet interface. It is not like an external Firewire drive where the drive is controlled, and passwords managed, by your computer. The NAS is its own computer, a tiny fileserver.

You need to set up your users and passwords on the NAS device. This is usually done through a Web browser interface to the NAS device's IP address on your network. Sometimes, it can only be done with a Windows machine, either because the tiny web app uses ActiveX, or because the software to locate the drive in the first place is PC only. In many cases, you must format the hard drive with the NAS device's built in utility (again through the browser interface) as well.

Pull out the NAS enclosure manual and start again.