Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hi Everyone. Over the last week or so I've been experiencing intermittent connection loss over my wireless network. Because I always have to make a diagram, here is a picture of my network setup. :)

network.png

I haven't experienced any problems on the Dell that is hardwired to the router so far, so I believe it is just a wireless problem. One thing I do know, however is all three wireless computers worked fine for months only to this past week. The connection dropping peaks at random times (peaking being every 2-3 minutes or so) and usually is around 10-20 minutes between drop outs. I've talked to Netgear and they told me to change some settings like MTU size, etc etc and upgrade the firmware. None of which helped. Also, I called my ISP, Comcast, and they pulled the connection history from my modem and have verified it indeed the router. Is my router dying? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks!

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Have you tried to change wireless channels on the netgear. Sounds to me like you are getting interference or something like that. I would download a wireless sniffer to see if something is interfering with your wireless

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Could you reccomend a good wireless sniffer? I tried Kismac but just couldn't get it to work. Thanks for the reply, btw.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I'm just not having luck today. As soon as I launch that it crashes and asks me to report it. :rolleyes: Thanks for your help, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.