Network extending

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Arkangil, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Arkangil macrumors regular

I have a Time Capusle in my basement connected to my internet model. It's connected via wire to some home theatre products (the reason it's in the basement) and then putting out it's wireless network for my laptops.

I also have an Airport Express. I would like to put the AE upstairs and extend the network, so I have a little more signal up there. It is NOT possible for me to hardwire the AE into my TC. So I have two options.

1. Can the AE accept the TC wifi network AND extend it without using ethernet in any way?

2. I can use ethernet to connect the AE directly to the model. In my mind, that creates two competing networks, one from the TC, one from the AE. Any way to merge and extend that way?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

Wouldn't using two power line adaptors one in either device, setting the BSSID to be the same on the AE as the Timecapsule and disabling DHCP on the AE work ?

3. Arkangil thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe, but I don't understand half of what you just said! I will investigate it.

4. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

BSSID = wireless network name

If the BSSID is set the same on both devices and if they both use the same WEP / WPA2 key you should be able to walk from the basement to upstairs whilst connected to wifi, all the power line devices are doing is extending an ethernet port from the TC to the AE via the mains.

You can actually get power line devices with wifi built in :-

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=336

5. Arkangil thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

So in essence I have two independent wireless networks, one from the TC and one from the AE, but since they have the same name and password, I am tricking my devices into thinking its the same??

6. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

Indeed it's called roaming in the wireless world, just make sure they don't use overlapping wifi channels.