Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fedder22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
to put it plainly the topic says it all but for more detail here is the issue:

When a user signs on the mac client it adds a network folder attached to my windows server that it shouldn't be mounting to a users desktop. Users need access to this folder but it should not be mounting upon logon. I'm not really sure where to start, I'm very comfortable with many flavors of linux and Windows, but Macs are not more forte besides the file system and terminal, but the terminal is still a bit different. there's no apt-get or yum :( haha.... I did some googling and cant seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, which is to stop this network folder from showing up on a users desktop when they logon to the mac client.

thanks for any help that anyone can offer

fedder22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
?

I'm not sure, I replaced the old admin and I'm unfamiliar with Mac's I'm not entirely sure where to start. I thoguht it would be under system pref's but it appears that every user has the folde ron their desktop..... I'm not sure how it works myself.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I assume you are using an administered Mac?
Your user account is probably being administered on a server, and maybe your sys-admin has made you a member of a group on that server, which has a "group folder" which is mounted by default...?

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
You could check the System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items to see if the network device is listed there to load upon startup.

fedder22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Its weird, when I go to check system pref >> user >> login items it then freezes, I can view the others except for login items.

also it is quite possible that it is an administered mac (again... i dont know how to find this out) but lets say it is, if I logged into the mac server where would I look to disable this?

thanks!!!!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
If it is an administered Mac, then surely it is a computer belonging to a company, used in their network, administered by system administrators...?

Or have I missed something?

If it is, then surely you should ask them that question.

If this is a home-based Mac, and you have the local-administrator's password of this Mac, I can help you.

fedder22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Yes, this is owned by a company, I am the systems admin, i know Linux and windows macs are not my forte, I was hoping to get some help from this forum on where to start. when a user logs in a folder is popping up that is from the windows server on each persons desktop, this folder should definitely not be showing up. but the way the previous admin did permissions this isn't something I can do with eh flick of a check mark, i need to disable the users folder first and find out what else is going to be affected. Roaming profiles is implemented here if that helps....

you mentioned that it could be a member of a group folder that is mounted by default, how to i disable this "mount by default" option?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Do you have a Mac OS X Server in your network?
Usually, when you want to "force" a shared network volume to be mounted by some users, you create such a Group Folder in the users and group settings of the Mac OS X Server (in WorkGroup Manager).
If not, then maybe there has been created something like a "Login Hook" (unix script executed by "root" at every user's login attempt).
:confused:

fedder22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
yes I have Mac OSX server, I checked the workgroup settings under account and looked at the group folder area, the address has (none) for each group under groups folder

BUT, under the home section for user it has the folder mapped like below:

afp://DOMAIN/FOLDER

under each name, I''m assuming because this is the 'home' it automounts, is there a way to undo this or change it for each user? they technically wont ever need data out of this folder.

also, is it possible that the setting is done via a group policy on the windows side?

thanks so much for your help and guidance!

-Aaron

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.