Network hardware test @ Apple store...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ururk, Jan 7, 2011.

1. ururk macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on the network boot Apple hardware test done in the stores - how it might compare to the OS9-looking hardware test that comes with the machines, or would have been used over USB if an Apple tech were working on it. The network version looks radically different from either the CD that shipped with my machine, or the ASD CD.

(Why?

I'm having some intermittent problems with my MBP 3,1. I brought it into the store, but the tech only looked at my logs, and did not run an Apple hardware test. I agree with the tech, in that the hardware test can be less than helpful, but it still would have put me at ease to see it pass. The test caught issues at three different times in the past, so I don't think it is totally worthless. I've now noticed that when my machine freezes, no helpful messages are saved.

So... I ran the hardware test that came with my mac (looks like OS 9!), then the Apple Service Diagnostics (also looks like OS 9).)

However, I'm wondering if there is a newer/better test out there. I 'ask' because the last time I was in for a repair, the tech network-booted my machine into the testing environment, and it was totally revised from what I have access to locally (ASD).

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

It's just likely Apple's own internal netboot diagnostic OS. Nothing meant for public consumption.

3. ururk thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure it isn't meant for public consumption. I'm just wondering if it is more accurate than the ASD which they would have used 2 or 3 years ago, but no longer do from what I can tell (eg, recent and past experience).

My motive is pretty straightforward - though my AppleCare expired in 2010, my replacement logicboard warranty expires in 60 days. I want to build up my confidence to go back to the store and ask that they run the hardware tests (not demand, per-se). I feel like I have limited ability to get this diagnosed, since my AppleCare expired.