Network HDD (WD External Ethernet Drive)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dyzfnctional, Aug 15, 2009.

1. dyzfnctional macrumors regular

Hi I just recently picked up the macbook pro 13"; trying to transfer files from my ethernet hdd to the laptop... How do i find the hdd on my network? Please help... sorry im new to mac.

Thanks in advance

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Well with Macs everything shows up in the finder window under the shared tab. Or you can click on Go > Network (with finder active) and it should be in there.

3. specops macrumors regular

if your macbook and HDD are both connected to the same network just click "Macintosh HD" on your desktop, open that up and on the left it should say "shared" and it should say the name of your HDD you are sharing over the network. Hope that works for you

4. dyzfnctional thread starter macrumors regular

hmm i did..but dont see my harddrive anywhere... no shared folder too.
    I do see it on my pc under my computer...

does it make a diff if my macbook pro is on wireless?

5. dyzfnctional thread starter macrumors regular

anyone can help me find my network harddrive? cant seem to see it on my network via macbook but i can access it with my pc.

6. Trexznl macrumors member

The one disadvantage of OS X (imho) is that you are not able to mount network drives. Thus, you have to hope that Mac OS X will find your network drive so that you can connect to it.

I've also got a network drive and Mac Os X only sees it half of the time. (While I've got it mounted on Windows Vista/7). Sometimes it just shows up, and other times it, well, doesn't.

Try to reboot your drive and your router, to see if that helps.

7. DigDan88 macrumors newbie

With the Ethernet HDD, in your windows PC, under Network Places does the HDD show up there? if it does, click on it and it should show you the IP Address of the HDD on the network, something like 192.168.100
    if it does you should be able to open Finder > Go > Folder > smb://192.168.100

Thats how I usually mount HDDs / shared folders in my Mac from other computers, specifically windows machines

8. dyzfnctional thread starter macrumors regular

i just tried your way.... still wont connect or detect my network drive.. .hmmmm

9. dyzfnctional thread starter macrumors regular

so i see it under shared now... but i get this msg:

The operation cannot be completed because the original term for ID##### cannot be found???
    hmmm....