Network Help (Airport Extreme Bridge Mode)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jdechko, Apr 19, 2013.

1. jdechko macrumors 68040

Due to some circumstances, my family will be moving in with the in-laws for a few months. I'm bringing all my computing devices and rather than change WiFi settings for everything, I'm hoping I can just tweak a few configuration settings. Please let me know if I have this right:

Currently I have Comcast Motorola Cable Modem plugged into the WAN port of my AEBX. AEBX is set up to share using DHCP and I have 3 Wireless networks (5GHz, 2.4 & Guest). I also have 1 computer wired with ethernet.

In-laws have Comcast Motorola Cable Modem plugged into the WAN port of a Belkin wireless G router. They have their desktop wired with ethernet and a 2.4GHz wireless network.

What I'm thinking is that rather than reconfigure every device, I can run an ethernet cable from a LAN port on the Belkin to a LAN Port on the AEBX and switch the connection sharing on the AEBX to Bridge mode. The way I'm thinking, this will still allow me to keep all of my wireless networks, but the internet connection and DHCP server will come from the Belkin.

Have I missed anything or will this work as expected?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Yes, turning off NAT in the Extreme (or any router) is the way to treat a router that is right behind another NAT router. Plus in any network the router closet to the ISP router should be the only router doing NAT.

Lastly use the free software iStumbler Beta and make sure you use deferent frequencies that the inlaws router. Better yet just only do the 5GHz frequencies (int he hundred channels range) so you don't interfere with their wireless.