Network help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by prechrchet, Apr 26, 2010.

1. prechrchet macrumors regular

I am wondering if I bought the right piece of equipment.

Here is what I have had:

Cable Modem --> Airport, which wirelessly connected to two Macs.

The problem was that one of the Macs was not getting a good wireless signal, still not sure why. So I got the idea of running a 50 ft Ethernet cable from the Mac with the issues to the modem. However, I still need to have my airport up and running a wireless connection.

So my new setup looks like this:

Cable Modem --> Ethernet Switch. The Switch is connected to both my Mac Pro, and my Airport. The Mac Pro still works, but I can't seem to access the internet from the 2nd computer, which is running on the Airport.

Did I get the wrong equipment when I got the Switch?

(In case it matters, what I got was a NetGear Fast Ethernet Switch FS105.

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's because you try to dial in with two devices. The AE is normally used for dialing up into the internet using the modem, now you probably have set the Mac Pro to dial up too. It's called PPPoE, and only one device can do that. The AE is better suited, so more than one user can access the internet.

Maybe sell the AE and switch and buy an AirPort Extreme Base Station.

3. prechrchet thread starter macrumors regular

A bit of clarification...

The base station in question is an Airport Extreme, purchased summer of 2006. It is not "dialing up" anything.

Also, my Mac Pro is showing a connection via Ethernet/ using DHCP.

Hope this clarifies my set up.

Thanks!

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So you have the AirPort Extreme Base Station, displayed in the following image?

[​IMG]

And you have some kind of modem?

As far as I have experienced with my own AEBS, the AEBS works as a router and uses PPPoE to dial via the modem into the internet and giving all the clients connected to the AEBS access to the internet.

But if you are putting a switch between the modem and the AEBS to connect the MP to the modem, only one of them can be connected to the internet, as not two devices can dial up* on the same modem.

And the AEBS also has three LAN ports, which makes a switch redundant in your situation.

Or do you have this older model?

[​IMG]

It has a LAN port too, which can be used in the fashion you want to without the need for that switch.

Or am I still on the wrong track with your setup?

* I use dial up as that is what it does, it dials a number provided by the ISP and establishes a connection.

5. prechrchet thread starter macrumors regular

ok, problem solved.

I do, in fact, have the older model. Plugging the cable directly into the one ethernet port has fixed my issue.

Thank you so very much for your help!!