Network In Home - PC & Mac ~ Airport Express ~ Printer & H.D.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tastrike, Aug 21, 2007.

1. tastrike macrumors newbie

I recently turned to a mac from a PC. I am looking to set up a network in my home. I have an Airport Express. I want to hook up a printer and an external hard drive to the airport to have access to them through the network between all computers.

Everything seems to be working great 'til now.

I have read it IS possible to hook both a hard drive up as well as a printer. First of all, I'd like to confirm that is true.

I am also wondering if anybody has any suggestions as far as what hard drive to look for. I am looking for a 500GB External Hard Drive obviously that is compatible for both mac and PC.

I was also wondering if it is possible to access the hard drive from other connections, such as a coffee shop or different Ethernet line away from my home.

Thanks in advance.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's not true. An AirPort Extreme can handle the external hard drive but an AirPort Express cannot.

3. jsnipper macrumors newbie

If you want to use the hdd for both the mac and the PC, you'll need to use FAT32. I had problems formatting my 250GB drive with a partition larger than 200GB so I ended up with two FAT32 partitions. I have a printer and hdd plugged into my Extreme (gigabit) using a cheap hub. works great on the Mac, the PC has problems with the drive using the mac software, works fine when I browse to the share directly.