Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bijuvid2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
I got two imacs with snow leopard os,and in the same network i got two win 7 professional pcs out of two i have dedicated one as a file sharing server.The shared folders are clearly visible in mac and i can able to access too.But when i access the same folder from other win 7 pc i found that mac pcs are not able to access the same shared folder which was working earlier.
When i try to troubleshoot from mac pc using ping command it gives reply perfectly without any break,but when i use smb their i face the issue,Please someone provide me the right solution to overcome this issue.I called up even mac customer care they took nearly one hour and atlast they concluded by saying "when mac can share each other folder then no issue with pc please check from windows support".

bijuvid2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
again i repeat that i dont have basic network connectivity issue,but i mentioned that after establishing connectivity between window and mac it works for few hours and then disconnects

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I got two imacs with snow leopard os,and in the same network i got two win 7 professional pcs out of two i have dedicated one as a file sharing server.The shared folders are clearly visible in mac and i can able to access too.But when i access the same folder from other win 7 pc i found that mac pcs are not able to access the same shared folder which was working earlier.
When i try to troubleshoot from mac pc using ping command it gives reply perfectly without any break,but when i use smb their i face the issue,Please someone provide me the right solution to overcome this issue.I called up even mac customer care they took nearly one hour and atlast they concluded by saying "when mac can share each other folder then no issue with pc please check from windows support".

Read the blog post (all the pages File Sharing: Win 7 and Snow Leopard: Introduction and make sure you sharing from the Windows 7 machine correctly.

again i repeat that i dont have basic network connectivity issue,but i mentioned that after establishing connectivity between window and mac it works for few hours and then disconnects

Your post is difficult to read.

You have:

Mac1
Mac2
PC1
PC2 (set up as file server)

Mac1 can always connect to Mac2, PC1 and PC2
Mac2 can always connect to Mac1, PC1 and PC2
PC1 can sometimes not connect to PC2

Am I right? This could be one reason Apple sent you to windows support.

Or are you saying...
Mac1 and Mac2 sometimes can not connect to PC2?

I've only connected from Mac to Linux (SMB) and Mac to Mac. I never bother with Mac to PC. I have not seen intermittent connection issues since I got rid of my last windows box. I think this experience is common in the Mac world and might explain why you are being sent to windows support even if Mac1 and Mac2 are losing connection to PC2. The problem could be on PC2 and have nothing to do with OS X ability to connect to a properly working PC. I have several old Linux based NAS drives which are so old they speak SMB but not AFS. I never have intermittent issues with them.

bijuvid2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
i go with your mode of explanation as you said;
You have:

Mac1
Mac2
PC1

PC1 can always connect to Mac1, mac2 and PC2

****mac 1 and mac 2 can sometimes not connect to PC2

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
i go with your mode of explanation as you said;
You have:

Mac1
Mac2
PC1

PC1 can always connect to Mac1, mac2 and PC2

****mac 1 and mac 2 can sometimes not connect to PC2

Darn. If PC1 sometimes could not connect to PC2 I would feel good about suggesting you replace PC2 with some sort of dedicated server like Network Attached Storage. But if PC1 to PC2 always works but Macs to PC2 sometimes doesn't work you can wind up getting the perpetual runaround because it's not clearly Apple's or Microsoft's problem.

If you don't need to run windows on PC2, I suggest you install Linux which is MUCH more stable as a server and your intermittent issues would go away forever. Of course, you'd have to back up everything because to put Linux on PC2 would mean reformatting the drive. You can download and burn yourself a "Live" CD so you can boot from it and prove Linux recognizes all your hardware before you spend time installing it for real. I've only had one install fail after the Live CD passed but that was years ago on a new netbook with an unusual wifi chipset. I'm sure that sort of thing doesn't happen now.

I guess I'm a bit jaded when it comes to windows. I'm having a problem with my PC at work. They futzed around with it for days and what it came down to was they had to reinstall windows to get java working with Internet Explorer so I could use one of the required corporate servers that refuses to work with Chrome or Firefox despite the fact java worked fine with those browsers.

I tend to cut my losses and rather than spend many hours of computer forensics figuring out why something doesn't work, I would rather remove windows from the equation. I do some of the same thing on OS X. I will do an archive and install before spending a lot of time tracking down some little problem. It's not that OS X needs a reinstall to fix something. It's that it is so darn easy to archive and install I use that method when something gets on my nerves enough. I should mention that with 6 Macs over 5 years I've only done archive and install about 3 times and wipe and install once. All my other installs were hard drive or OS upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.