Network Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by prmccarron, Jan 23, 2010.

1. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

Okay, well I'm trying to set up a network at my house, but I have a little problem when I get my Mac involved - whenever I go to System Preferences>Network, it tells me that my network settings have been changed by another application. When I click OK, it goes away for less than a second and then comes back. It would go on for hours. It's done this before, but it stopped randomly. How do I get this to stop?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

The most common cause of something like that is software that your ISP had you install to automatically set things up (or maybe software that came with your router, intended to do the same thing).

Can you think of anything like that you might have installed along the line? For that matter, any network-related software at all that you've installed, even if you thought you removed it?

If not, we'll go from there.

3. Queso macrumors G4

Go to System Preferences>Security>General and ensure that you are required to unlock each system prefs panel with a password.

BTW, you say you're at a friend's house. You're not connected to their Mac over a firewire cable of the like are you?

4. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

Thanks, I'll try that.
    Oh, and I didn't say I was at a friends house.

5. Queso macrumors G4

LOL. Sorry, must have confused you with another thread I was posting to. Blame the meds :D