Network issues after El Capitan

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Killerbob, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I recently upgraded my daughters 2010 MacBook Air from Yosemite to El Capitan. The upgrade went OK, but since then I have had problems with a few things. It starts up and works fine, including Internet browsing and Time Capsule, until I try and access my NAS or send a print to my network printer. Then it completely locks up and ends up rebooting...

Logging into Safe Mode all is fine.

So I reinstalled El Capitan on top of the installation, but alas... Then I wiped the SSD and installed El Capitan and all was well, until I imported apps, settings, and profiles from Time Capsule...

What's going on?

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Clearly something in your settings/profile is corrupted and instantly breaks your install when you recover it. Safe mode uses the default settings so that’s why everything is fixed. Your only option is to just import apps and documents and configure the default settings to suit your preferences.

3. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for suggesting this. I'll try that now. Wouldn't that be solved by creating a new profile as well?

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

In theory it should if safe mode fixes the issue.

For me, if it appears something really strange is going on with no obvious solution and I have the time to wipe everything I like to start fresh. No revisiting of the issue. I even have a USB drive with OSX to speed up the reinstall.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Maybe... there are user level startup items and if that is the problem, making a new account would fix it. But there are also system level startup items and a new account won't fix that.

How about let's try something else before you go to all that trouble. Run the app Etrecheck once and it will create an anonymized report that shows all these login and hidden startup items. Post the report here and we can try and help you pinpoint the culprit.

But yeah.... like others mentioned, if a safe boot fixes this, it is definitely a login/startup item causing the problem. You likely have an item running that is not compatible with El Capitan.

6. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

I caved in, and I am reinstalling the applications onto a fresh installation of El Capitan... That'll hopefully put some new life into a 5 year old MacBook Air.

7. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Did those actions have the desired effect?