Network Issues - Yet Again - self assigned IP

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by i4k20c, Sep 3, 2011.

1. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Hello Everyone,

I've had woes with Apple and my network for the last few years and I really don't know why. :eek:

I randomly get the dreaded "self assigned IP address" and have no idea how to solve it. When I had my g4 powerbook running leopard, i tried all the tricks and nothing ever worked. :eek: My only solution has always been to reset the router.

I got a new computer, macbook pro preinstalled with lion and again, i'm seeing the same problem. :( The problem with my solution of resetting the router just isn't plausible all the time because there are other people in my household who are on the computer (using windows 7) and cannot stop their workflow for a few minutes while the router is resetting, and than the issue becomes really problematic for me.

From paying attention to it the last 3-4 years, I think the problem only occurs when the windows 7 computer is already connected to the internet and my MBP wasn't..and than I try to connect it. I sincerely appreciate any help at all, as this is just making my laptop to use a real pain.

I am using a 13inch Early 2011 MBP running 10.7.1
    I'm using a Buffalo Air station wireless G
    I'm on a WPA protection

I'm more than glad to give any other details as I really just want this issue fixed. :(

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Assign your Mac a static IP. The self-assigned IP is usually a sign that for whatever reason your DHCP server (your router) and your computer aren't talking.

3. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

yah that is what it looks like people are saying. will this cause any interference with other computers in the house? Windows 7 computers?

also, it looks like i forgot the u/p to my router, :mad: , is there any advice on what I should use for the pw? Right now it's on WPA Personal.. would that be something that might cause a problem? Should I use WPA2? TKIP? :confused:

Thank You.

4. i4k20c, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Oh wait, am I reading this right...

If i set up my mac with a Static IP..i have to do this to the other computers as well?

I can't just do it to my computer and let the other computers connect the way they are right now?

EDIT: For instance it is happening again. Another housemate is on his w.7 comp. using the internet and i go to mine and it has a "self-assigned ip." Yet, when i connect a ethernet from my router to the computer, it's able to get on just fine.

Very aggrivating as the router is in someone's room and it's not plausible to be wired in all the time.