Network issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OozyDelphi, Jan 6, 2009.

1. OozyDelphi macrumors newbie

Hey guys, relatively new but I cant seem to find an answer anywhere else. So i bought a macbook pro about 5 months ago, and it is an amazing machine, coming from a long history of Windows. Anyways, my problem arose with my network. I am the only mac user in the house, and i naturally would have expected some troubles with the network, which was not so at first. Everything worked flawlessly, until i went to school and tried to connect to their server with help from the IT Head. Least to say it didnt really work (its a brand new system with lots of bugs). Anyways, when i came home, at this point im not exactly sure if it was that day or several after, my network no longer shows in the finder. Its just gone! At school the network shows and i am able to access any running computer, but when connected to my home network, the network tab just simply vanishes! I thought at first this wouldn't be to big of a deal, but its really starting to get annoying. Ive scoured the web and turned up nothing similar, and ive even gone to such lengths as taking a look at my router settings, trying to connect using my internal and external IP addresses, but just nothing. Is this just some sort of silly mistake for which i cant find what i did wrong, or has my mac committed network suicide?

Attached Files:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can open the network "directory" from the Go menu in Finder or by pressing command+shift+K. You can then drag the icon from the title of the window into the sidebar to replace the link there.

3. OozyDelphi thread starter macrumors newbie

Alrighty, but when i get into the folder there is no shared computers on the network. any reason for that?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, uh, are there any shared computers on your network? :p

5. OozyDelphi thread starter macrumors newbie

i do have computers on the network, and they are able to see me when in my bootcamp partition, but i have difficulty seeing them on the partition, and neither they or me can see each other when in mac.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

7. rtpub macrumors member

rtpub

What exactly did the IT Head tell you to change in your macbook? If you're using cable connection then perhaps you've changed to a different IP segment. If you're on wireless perhaps check if you're connecting to the right AP at home... also, make sure that all the computers are in the same IP segment (how did you get your IP address? DHCP or fixed?)

8. OozyDelphi thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant see them in boot camp, most of the time, they do show up randomly and then drop out some times. But the IT head had me connect to a server through the go menu in the finder. Im not overly sure what he did in detail, but it was wireless and the go in the finder. It popped up and said i needed to log in, but none of the logins were up. But im not sure what the connect server should now look like, but mine is set to afp://home. Im not sure if that is correct or if it is even required.