Network Keeps Dropping Internet, 3 Macs on Network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chris3125, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Chris3125 macrumors member

I apolagise in advance if this is in the wrong section but I was struggling on which section to post.

My problem is I keep loosing 'Internet' signal on my network, the network still runs fine and all computers (macbook, imac and macbook pro) are still connected to the network and can still transfer files but there is no internet connection. Im not 100% sure but this seems to happen once more than one computer is on the network at once. It happens randomly and their seems to be no real sequence or pattern as to when it happens.

I was adviced to change the ports on my router from 11 to say 6 or others, this didnt seem to help, and i have since thought as my imac is hard wired with an ethernet cable this wouldnt effect this computer as it is not connected over wireless but this computer IS still affected.

I have tried numerous hard resets and fimrware updates etc but no joy, the router i'm using is a Belkin http://www.jivetel.com/product_info.php?product_id=52&product_name=Belkin%20F5D7230-4

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, maybe I just need to replace the router?

Cheers

Chris

2. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

If you're inside communications are OK and it's just internet you're losing I would blame either the router or modem. It's up to you which one you try taking out of the equation. I would try connecting the modem directly to a machine for a bit and seeing if you lose internet to rule it out. Just an idea. I never put much faith into the commercial modems our cable / DSL providers offer- especially cable since they rarely give you a new one in the first place.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Having problems when wired most likely points the finger at your ISP or your router.
    Bypass the router, connect a mac directly to the modem and see if your problem persists.
    If that works fine, then you need to replace your router. If it doesn't you need to replace your ISP:p.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If you can still connect to the network, and you are losing internet connection, the problem most likely is your modem. I had this problem with my modem and I called my ISP and they brought me a new one and now there is absolutely no problem with my internet connection. No dropped internet at all. I would try to hard reset the modem when this happens, as this was the solution to my problem until I got a new modem.

5. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

What ISP do you use? a few are very unreliable, i've had trouble with speakeasy in the past.

6. runlsd macrumors 6502

runlsd

i'm having the same problem you described. the model, however, is in my landlord's place. they haven't experienced any difficulties with their internet. mine loses internet connection despite having full signal every day or a day and a half. when it happens, i need to get my landlords to restart the modem/router. anything i could do here?

this is the thread i started about this with a little more information.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=764564

7. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Has anyone noticed recently that about 1/2 the posts on MR are about this, a quarter are bad HD's , and an eighth is bad graphics cards?

8. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I'm having a similar issue. Every time I go to a new webpage/type in a new address, the connection drops and it takes 15-30 seconds approximately to connect.

9. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

it seems like everyone's problems are just a little different that everyone else's though, so they feel the obligation to post a new thread about it instead of just reading and most likely finding the answer to their dilemma.

10. Chris3125 thread starter macrumors member

I've had my modem replaced, not because of this problem but my ISP just randomly sent me a new one, the problem has occurred with both modems so i can only assume its the router, Is there a router anyone can recommend? I could do with something that has a very strong range as I get no signal in our kitchen which is barely 7 metres away.

11. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

I have always been a fan of Linksys. 3com would probably be my second choice.

12. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Yup linksys or netgear :) I'd personally protect for the future. Get n-wireless:)