Network Laser printer with password protectded printing - Recommendation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by peterek, Feb 11, 2010.

1. peterek macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

Does any one know if there is network laser printer that has password protected printing feature, and it is supported under Mac OSX

Basically I'm looking for a printer for my office, to be used by all employees and some of them would use password to get their sensitive printouts

Thanks for your help

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

If it's a centrally located printer, then it's not secure. Anyone that can walk up to it, can take those sensitive documents, and no password can protect you from that (which is just software BTW).

You'd want such documents restricted to printers in a secure area (i.e. locked room of some sort, where only authorized users have a key, card, PIN,... to get in, and limit access via the server (no "Oops I sent the job to the wrong printer"). If those users aren't to be able to cross view the content generated by other authorized users , then they each need their own printer and that ideally is in a locked room, such as an office, not a cubicle IMO.

Keep in mind, I'm looking at this from an absolute security POV.

3. peterek thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, but I used to have it in my old company, you send the print job to the printer it was on hold till you come up to the printer and type in you password, that was assigned to you,

And I couldn't find that solution for mac

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

I haven't seen anything like that in a while, but it may still exist.

What I usually see now is software + physical access (building security system, which is computer controlled, but has custom hardware, wiring, and software).

You might want to take a look at DeviceLock, as it might be helpful to you, given the level of security you're interested in (i.e. control your USB, FW,... ports from internal access, which are commonly over-looked).

Sorry I couldn't locate the type of device you're looking for (I did search). :eek: I'm not sure they're even manufactured any longer, and shifted towards building security (internal = authorized access areas, not just external), as that's on the rise from what I can tell.