Network locations keep deleting themselves

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darshtang, Jul 6, 2014.

1. darshtang macrumors newbie

My retina macbook pro's network locations keep either disappearing entirely or changing to "unknown". I wouldn't really mind but it stops my wifi from auto reconnecting when I open my laptop up. It doesn't forget the address (password) but it does forget to automatically connect to any known networks. I haven't really found anyone with a similar problem by searching but I've done the usual troubleshooting (reset pram and SMC). Another symptom is that my laptop's name keeps deleting itself also (_____'s macbook pro - the "computer name" that you can set in the sharing menu in system preferences). Any help would be appreciated.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

When you made the Network pane Location did you remember to click the final 'Apply' button to completely save the new Location?

3. darshtang thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I originally had 2 (home+uni) that I kept making when they got deleted but I've just given up with that. I definitely always push apply.

4. Civil Engineer macrumors newbie

I have as well

I have had the same problem intermittently on my iMac on a Windows server. I had two shares set up for the last five years or so with no problem that I can remember (other than when my hard drive failed a couple of years ago and I had to reinstall). Since the las OSX update, I have lost them twice.

5. darshtang thread starter macrumors newbie

I had hoped that the latest mavericks update would solve this problem as it specifically fixed macs not connecting to known wifi networks but it seems to have done nothing.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then try this:

1. Quit all running programs.

2. Disconnect for any wireless network.

3. Then open Finder window and go to the folder /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and move the files com.apple.airport.preferences.plist & NetworkInterfaces.plist to your desktop. (Edit: Some users report delete the whole folder). Then IMMEDIATELY REBOOT!!!

4. Upon your restart sign back into your wireless network.

This should reset your wireless card settings back to initial install. Doing this might help your situation.