Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stellvia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
Hi all,

I'm a staff member at my local pawnshop (Cash Converters) and as our mac "expert", it's been left up to me to make sure that any apple products that we purchase are working properly. :)

We have recently purchased an iMac G5. Upon testing it appears that this computer was part of a network system and as such all administrative functions are locked. I'm unable to access System Preferences, change any setting in Applications, install anything or generally do anything you want to be able to do on a computer.

I have the OSX10.4 installation discs but am unable to open the installer or even access boot from disc functions (holding "c" during startup) or single-user mode.

I would like to know if there is a way to force a re-install or something to setup the computer from scratch, thereby getting rid of any network admin passwords and such. The contents of the system are not a concern and the store has full legal ownership of the computer

Any help would be appreciated.

stellvia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
I've already tried using the tips you suggested on that article, but the network admin lock prevents me from accessing the startup disc and entering single user mode unfortunately.

stellvia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
I'll give target disk mode a try. Not sure if it will let me as it wouldn't let me boot into single-user mode.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
If a firmware password makes you unable to alt-boot it, remove some RAM to bypass it.

stellvia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
I've tried boot to target disc etc, but I can't get into any of the single user modes. I've also tried resetting the SMU manually by opening the computer up to try and reset the NVRAM. No such luck on any account. Don't have any spare RAM to swap out to try that method either.

Any other suggestions. There isn't aynthing wrong with the computer apart from being network adminastrator locked (and all that that entails.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.