Network Mac to Mac? Why is this hard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iBunny, Aug 13, 2007.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

This is the only issue I am having with my Mac / OSX

I have 2 Macs on the same Airport... Both have access to the internet etc.. no issues.

How do I access that mac from this one? So I can drag and drop files etc? its gotta be easy, but no matter how much I search or google... the big question is always is not Mac to Mac, but Windows to Mac... which I dont care about.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Firstly, do you have Personal File Sharing turned on for each of the macs?
    Check System Preferences->Sharing

Now, once that is done, if you open Finder, click on Network on the sidebar, and you should see your other Mac (it may be in a folder called My Network)

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

You need to have file sharing enabled on both Macs, then on one or both of the Macs go to the "Network" icon at the top of the Finder window. Clicking on that should bring up "Library" "Servers" and the other Mac you're trying to find.

Double click on the other Mac and you should be able to log in using your account details.

Edit: Beaten to the punch by Swiftaw :)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Should be as simple as Sys Prefs -> Sharing -> Services -> click on Personal File Sharing -> Click on the start button.

Once it finishes starting up, the other computers should see you in the network part of Finder (open a Finder window and click on the network icon on the left) under the name specified at the top of the Sys Prefs -> Sharing page.

When you double click on a computer, you'll get the option of where you want to login (so which home directory you'll see).

(Note, post x3, but you only need file sharing on both Macs if you want to be able to mount either mac from the other. It's a perfectly acceptable setup say to have one mountable on the other but not vice-versa. This is how I have it set up -- my iMac, which lives inside my AEBS NAT firewall, has file sharing turned on, while my iBook, which travels to other networks I don't control, has it turned off. If I want to transfer files, I can mount the iMac on the iBook and either put or get files.)

5. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

See that it was alot harder that it should be.

There should just be a Magic button like everything else.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Magic Button--who wants to do all that work? Mine works just by thinking about it!

7. polycat33 macrumors 6502

If everything had a magic button you'd have so many magic buttons you'd be here to ask which magic button did what you wanted. :p

8. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

but i think this method only allow to share \user\ folders, not the hold HDD... is there a method how to share the whole HDD?

9. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

It depends on what share you pick. AFAIK you get two choices, the home directory of the person you're logging in as and the root directory of the hard drive.