Network Metrics Monitoring

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mainstay, Dec 16, 2011.

1. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

I have a few networks that report loss of internet at random times (despite being on a UPS) and I am looking for a way to measure network accessibility with an old mac mini g4.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to place the mini on the companies network and have it immediately start a schedule of tests. We use PathView on other sites, but at $1200 it's a bit pricey.

Anyone know of a mac-based (or pc-based for that matter) program that can measure performance characteristics such as jitter, latency and available bandwidth from any location to any IP-addressable target worldwide.

I would then log into the device to check the logs OR have them sent to my office for archiving and analysis.

Any ready-to-go programs that do this?

2. mainstay thread starter macrumors 6502

mainstay

OK - how about something SIMPLE like, every 120 seconds, check to see if you can ping google and then keep a running log so that we can check back at 2 am last week and see...?

Come on, I'm striking out on the search engines and you guys MUST have encountered this at some point.

3. elistan macrumors 6502a

I have no idea, but perhaps this is something that can be done through Automator?

4. mainstay thread starter macrumors 6502

mainstay

good suggestion - thank you.

I've also been scouring the geektools script libraries... but nothing seems to exist... although it sounds so simple.

5. wilsonhaven macrumors member

The free version of untangle works well for simple things. It provides a VPN too. All open source well documented stuff in an single toolset. It can send you email reports too.

6. mainstay thread starter macrumors 6502

mainstay

That untangle looks pretty cool.

I might have to put together a little test box to play around with the free version just to see how I might use it in other locations.

But I did not see a network uptime / connectivity capability.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Perhaps just having GeekTool display your external IP pulled from WhatsMyIP.org would help? Just place a new shell script with this command:

Code:
    curl -s http://automation.whatismyip.com/n09230945.asp | awk {'print $1'}
    Give it a refresh rate of 300 seconds (according to their documentation, they ask that you not do it more often than that), and I'd set a timeout of only 1 second. Should give you your current external IP. If it can't get it in time, it'll just go blank, in which case you know it's slowed down.

jW

8. mainstay thread starter macrumors 6502

mainstay

Thank you for the script! That was very nice and greatly appreciated.

I have no experience with GeekTools so am learning the syntax as I go and this definitely helps!

While I'm playing, I've come across this which seems to solve my immediate problem:

http://code.google.com/p/internetconnectivitymonitor/