Network password

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by wilmichart, Dec 14, 2010.

1. wilmichart macrumors newbie

I have an ipod touch and my company, who is protective of our wireless network's password, has programmed my ipod to allow me to use my web based applications. Is there a way to determine what that network's password is since it is now programmed into the keychain of my ipod?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, but I'm not going to tell you. Because the company has a right to keep their network secure. If you want to know it, just ask one of the IT people there.

3. wilmichart, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

wilmichart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, Intell, for your witty reply. Very helpful. I am actually a part owner of the company but have an IT company as a sub contractor that is a bit of a pain in the butt. To make a long story short, they are not going to be our IT company for much longer because of crap like this (not to mention a laundry list of other problems). So, yes, I could just wait until we get rid of them and hire a new group. Or, yes, I could just demand that they tell me the password. But, I thought I might put forth the question to the macrumors community to see if someone could help me learn some tips and tricks in an effort to develop my knowledge.

Again, thanks for your help and witty reply.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Witty reply? I think its standard across the MR community not to help people break passwords and such. But if you insist, there is a jailbroken app that can do what you are wanting. A few Google searches should help you find more info about it.

5. wilmichart thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I'm not a fan of people breaking passwords either. I just don't consider it breaking when it is a part of my keychain on a device I own, on a network I own, set up by a contractor that I paid for. Really, the only reason I don't know the password (again, my password on my network) is because the guy is on a power trip and won't tell me or my partners. Again, this is a contractor whose services we won't be using for much longer.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I smell BS. If you paid a service to setup the password, then ask the contractor. :rolleyes:

Or change the network password. Oh that's right, it's not your network. So, you said
    1. your company set up the network
    2. you paid a contractor to setup the network
    3. you cannot get the contractor to give you the password

Sorry, this forum is not for breaking passwords, no matter how you lie.

7. wilmichart thread starter macrumors newbie

Your BS detector isn't very accurate.

After telling the contractor today the situation (I need to use my personal laptop on the network), he helped me set up the chain. I guess the original recommendation for talking to the IT manager was the best and most helpful.

For future reference, if you don't have any useful information to pass along, then don't bother posting. Passing judgment on someone's intent from a couple of blog posts is just as ignorant as someone trying to learn how to break a password from asking people on a blog. In other words, give people the benefit of the doubt before you label them a liar.

And if you don't want to help, that's fine, just don't post a response. That would be the most helpful thing you could have done.

To "Intell"- thank you, yours was the most helpful response. I shouldn't have interpreted your response as confrontational. Asking the IT manager was the best thing to do. I still would like to learn more about networks, etc. Not for malicious reasons but so I can be of benefit to others in my workplace, etc.