Network passwords: preferred list vs. keychain

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EricNau, May 10, 2007.

1. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I cannot understand why I have to enter my WAP password in the Preferred Networks list and my keychain. ...Shouldn't once be enough?

Is there a reason for this, or is it just to annoy me? :confused:

Thanks for any input. :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not quite sure what you mean, mate. :eek:

Assuming you're talking about wireless networks, I enter the password once when I first join the network and then don't have to enter it again. Are you constantly having to enter it, or just the two times?

3. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I have to enter it twice:

Once when adding my wireless network to the "Preferred Networks" list (in Network Preferences) and a second time when I select my wireless network from the airport menu for the first time (and from there I select "Remember password in my keychain").

...It just seems like I should only have to enter it once. :eek:
    (It's been awhile, but I believe this is the case with Windows.)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Err, I reckon if you do it the other way 'round you'll only have to enter it once. You're saving to the Keychain with the second step. Make that step first and Keychain'll have the password already stored for ya. :)

5. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You're right, it would assuming you have "Automatically add new networks to the preferred networks list" checked in Network Preferences (which, for some reason, I did not).

I guess it's always bothered me that it can't work both ways. ...It seems like adding it to the Preferred Networks list should automatically add the password to the Keychain as well, but I guess that is not the case.

Oh well, maybe Leopard will be able to read my mind. :p

Thanks for the help. :)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Haha, no worries mate. How often are you adding new networks anyway? Oh, and it'd be nice to see the Add To Keychain option bandied about more liberally.

7. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Actually, not that often (maybe once every month between my different computers), but I have a rather long, random password and it's become quite a pain. ...And I can never remember where I have the password written down! :D

Ya, that would be nice.

I guess my thoughts on this subject could be summarized as, "If my computer has to store the Preferred Networks' passwords somewhere, why doesn't it store them in Keychain? Isn't that what it's for?"