Network Preference when Running More than One Network

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WebsterAdrian, Nov 20, 2010.

1. WebsterAdrian macrumors newbie

I have two separate networks: Wireless G (DHCP) & Gigabit Ethernet (Fixed IP). Can OS X be set to prefer Gigabit Ethernet for certain apps? I ask because I use ChronoSync to synchronize between my MacMini and my Macbook Pro. The Wireless G network is obviously much, much slower than the Gigabit Ethernet. Yet, Chronosync always chooses to use the slower Wireless G network (unless I turn airport off on either Mac... in which case it is then forced to use the Gigabit Ethernet). I should mention that the Gigabit Ethernet is an entirely separate network with you internet connection. For internet, the Macs use the Wireless G network.

Hope to hear from someone soon. Thank you,
    Adrian

2. dknightd macrumors 6502

I think they are used in the order listed in the network preference pane. So, try dragging ethernet to the top of the list

3. WebsterAdrian thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes you are correct. I checked both Macs and made sure that the Gigabit Ethernet was at the top of the list. I have to sheepishly admit that after setting up the MacMini, I neglected to insert the fixed IP details. What a beginner! Anyway, your post directed my attention to this detail and I have now inserted the fixed IP details resulting in ChronoSync preferring the Gigabit network even while the slower Wireless G network remains switched on. I have no idea how the Gigabit Ethernet connection was 'forced' to work previously when I switched the airport connection off. Strange indeed. But it's all good now. Thanks again.