Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markmarshall10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Just got myself a new MacBook Air running Lion, but I can't print to any printers in the office via ethernet. I can see the relevant queues and they also show up in 'Nearby Printers' (Bonjour) but no matter whatever method I try to connect to them, I get messages like:

"The printer is not responding.
Unable to verify the printer on your network. Unable to connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx due to an error. Would you still like to create the queue?"

I've tried pointing the /etc/cups/client.conf file to our print server, which is how our linux desktops are set up.

The strange thing is printing to any office printer works just fine on my old MacBook Pro, also running Lion. I took the printers.conf from the linux CUPS server and added in a Canon printer that I have at home). I've copied over the entire /etc/cups directory and restarted CUPS to no avail. The only difference I can think of is that My MacBook Pro is on a slightly different subnet, but nevertheless I've checked that the subnet the Air is on has permission to print.

The Air is completely up to date, according to Software Update. No firewall is running. I've had it find an IP address via DHCP and also configured it with a static IP on the same subnet as my Pro.

All the office printers are configured with a Static IP and work great for everyone else (who are mostly using Linux desktops and Windows laptops). The ones I most care about are a Xerox Phaser 6360DN and Xerox Phaser 6280DN, especially the latter as it is the nearest to me!

I've also tried:

- Adding printers indvidually using HP Jetdirect Socket, LPD & Internet Printing Protocols
- Alternate drivers for Generic PS Printer and latest versions of drivers from Xerox site
- Removing and replacing printer from printer list in Sys Pref’s (including numerous 'Reset Printing System' attempts)

Suggestions most welcome!

AlteMac

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
New York suburb
I had a very similar issue. How are you connected to Internet? And are you by any chance running a vpn? VPN addresses can sometimes start with 10.x.x.x and if you are on an Airport Router there may be a conflict. There is no good solution other than changing the router IP address. In my case, it was possible to run a usb connection to the printer, but that doesn't seem feasible for you.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
What programs are you trying to print from?

For several colleagues and me, we have yet been able to print anything from Preview to a networked printer in 10.7.1, but printing from every other program works fine. Go figure.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
What programs are you trying to print from?

For several colleagues and me, we have yet been able to print anything from Preview to a networked printer in 10.7.1, but printing from every other program works fine. Go figure.
I print duplex scanned .jpg files wirelessly to my Xerox 8400DP from Preview without issue.

markmarshall10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I'm trying to print from Safari in the main. But I can't print from any program, the connection to the printer just times out.

No VPNs here, it's all wired ethernet.

rezzo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
Chile
Until 10.7.1 I haven't problems with my network printer Brother DCP-7065DN, but since I update to 10.7.2 I can't print anymore, only obtain blank papers of the printer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.