Network printer, No model number in printer list

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by trunxson, Dec 4, 2009.

1. trunxson macrumors newbie

I am trying to get G5 (10.4) to use a network printer MP160 connected to a windows XP machine.
    This is what I have done so far: Downloaded and installed the latest MP160 printer package for the Mac. Plugged the MP160 directly into the Mac USB port, the printer is instantly recognised and is installed as the default printer. It prints just fine. This leads me to believe the MP160 driver exists in the Mac.
    Now I transfer the printer to the XP. Using another (wireless) networked windows laptop I have no problem printing to the XP printer so that shows the sharing is working correctly.
    At the Mac I open printer setup. I then add the printer, selecting it, where I see it listed on the XP machine in (mac) Windows Printing/Network Neighbourhood. The printer name is seen just as it is on the XP.
    Now the point it all goes wrong. During the setup, the utility ask me to select the printer model I want to add from a list it displays under the canon group of drivers. No matter what I do the list cannot be updated or amended to include the MP160 model.
    The BJ gimp drivers don’t appear to support the MP160. I get the print job message ‘Gimp printing.....20%’. and various values depending on the model selected and eventually , ‘NT status network bad name error.’ The generic printer driver returns the same error.
    I have tried just about every type of connection using the setup utility and localhost 631 but I always end up at the same point, not being able to select the model.
    There are no networking issues as far as I can see. The Mac can see and use shared files on the windows machines.
    What can I do now?

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Yes, the issue is with the driver(s). On Windows, a driver is a driver is a driver. But on OS X, there are two distinct types: legacy Carbon (called monolithic in some Apple documents), and modern CUPS drivers. Nearly all manufacturers of non-postscript printers provide Carbon-style drivers. A distinctive feature of Carbon drivers is that the author can include exactly which communication protocol(s) the driver works with. Your USB-only Canon printer comes with a USB-only Mac driver - that's why the driver/model choice doesn't appear when trying to use Windows Printing.
    Using the CUPS-provided Windows Printing protocol requires a CUPS driver. The gutenprint drivers are one set of CUPS drivers. Your model is included in recent updates to Gutenprint - get it here:
    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

3. trunxson thread starter macrumors newbie

gsahli

How lucky i am to have you read my post. I have spent hours on this problem, but using your solution i was printing within 10 mins, so thanks for your help

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli