Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
How do I set up a networked printer in OS 9? And I am talking native OS 9, not OS 9 run under OS X. There is someone here where I work that has a mac Cube running OS 9 and he needs to connect to the networked printer. I have no idea how to do this! I only picked up macs once OS X came out. Everything I find through google searching says to open applications:utilities then open the Desktop Printer Utility application. but this does not exist on this guys computer! did he or someone else delete it? or is there some other way to add a networked printer? This is the only OS 9 computer on an entirely windows network (there are 3 computers running OS X including mine on the network). Any help would be great, thanks!

opuslab

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2002
Philadelphia
Re: Network Printer OS 9

As far as I remember setting up my Brother laser printer on OS 9, you have to go through the following steps. First, download and install network driver (PS driver) for your printer from its manufacturer’s website. After making sure that your AppleTalk is on and you are connected to the network, launch Chooser (it should be in the Apple menu). From there, select AppleTalk printer. Your printer should show up in the list on the right, just select it and you’re done. Again, this is what I had to do to setup my Brother HL-1470N, and I am not sure about the other brands. Hope this somewhat helpful.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
wPod said:
How do I set up a networked printer in OS 9? And I am talking native OS 9, not OS 9 run under OS X. There is someone here where I work that has a mac Cube running OS 9 and he needs to connect to the networked printer. I have no idea how to do this! I only picked up macs once OS X came out. Everything I find through google searching says to open applications:utilities then open the Desktop Printer Utility application. but this does not exist on this guys computer! did he or someone else delete it? or is there some other way to add a networked printer? This is the only OS 9 computer on an entirely windows network (there are 3 computers running OS X including mine on the network). Any help would be great, thanks!
Download this PPD file if your printer supports PostScript. If you have an AppleTalk-compatible printer, then it is probably also PostScript-compatible. Connect your printer to the network via Ethernet. Go to the Chooser. Click on the LaserWriter print driver. You should see all PostScript printers, including yours, in the list. If your network printer is PostScript, but is not AppleTalk-compatible, it is probably TCP/IP-compatible. You have to get the IP-address for the printer. Run the Apple Printer Utility, which can be found in the Macintosh HD:Applications (MacOS 9):Apple Extras:Apple Printer Utility folder. It will allow you to set up an LPR printer using your printer's IP address.

If you don't have a PostScript printer, then you have to download the correct PCL driver for MacOS 9. It is available elsewhere on the Brother website.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
ok, what both of you said seems to work with os 9 within OS X. but either the version of OS 9 i was running is much older, or when OS 9 is stand alone it is different. but finally as i got frustrated from searching for the answer, i clicked on like the 5th page of some google search (i dont know what i had originally searched for as i had been searching for numerous combinations of OS 9 network printers and such.) but eventually i found (ie randomly clicked on) this site, which is from the university of arkansas. anyway, it said that the Desktop Printer Utility that i was looking for is actually in the folder "Apple Extras Folder>Apple LaserWriter Folder" which seems totally random to me. anyway, once i launched the Desktop Printer Utility, set up was easy as the drivers were already in the system and I had the IP address.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
wPod said:
ok, what both of you said seems to work with os 9 within OS X. ...
My, you ran all around Job's barn. Because Brother supports your printer under MacOS 8, I have to assume that it is AppleTalk-compatible. If this is the case, you should have easily setup your printer via the Chooser. However, I am happy that you managed to get it done using the Apple Desktop Printer utility.

It occurs to me that you are using the antiquated MacOS 9.0. With the introduction of MacOS 9.1, Apple added the Applications (MacOS 9) folder at the root level of Macintosh HD. This folder is installed by the MacOS 9.1 or MacOS 9.2 installation CD, not the MacOS X CD.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
MisterMe said:
It occurs to me that you are using the antiquated MacOS 9.0. With the introduction of MacOS 9.1, Apple added the Applications (MacOS 9) folder at the root level of Macintosh HD. This folder is installed by the MacOS 9.1 or MacOS 9.2 installation CD, not the MacOS X CD.

It is quite possible it is os 9.0, i never thought about checking which version it was when i was working on the computer. Because the network here is all windows (except for 3 machines) we don't support apple products. and before i got into apple no one would touch an apple computer here. so i generally provide all of the support for any mac product. unfortunately i only know OS X but this guy with the OS 9 running on the cube is the only person I know still running OS 9. I did suggest that he upgrade to OS X, if he dropped in some more ram he would be able to run OS X pretty well on the cube.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
wPod said:
It is quite possible it is os 9.0, i never thought about checking which version it was when i was working on the computer. Because the network here is all windows (except for 3 machines) we don't support apple products. and before i got into apple no one would touch an apple computer here. so i generally provide all of the support for any mac product. unfortunately i only know OS X but this guy with the OS 9 running on the cube is the only person I know still running OS 9. I did suggest that he upgrade to OS X, if he dropped in some more ram he would be able to run OS X pretty well on the cube.
As a general proposition, you should give your version number and all other relevant information when asking for help. MacOS 9 is not some strange beast. It is the natural successor to System 1.0. Macintoshes were being networked when Windows users thought that a network was CBS or the BBC. Your Ethernet network can simultaneous support numerous protocols simultaneously. You can run AppleTalk, NetBEUI, Novell, TCP/IP, etc. all over the same wire at the same time. If your printer is AppleTalk-compatible, then it is likely to be readily available for you to use simply by enabling it in the MacOS 9 Chooser and the AppleTalk Control Panel. If it is not available, it is only because your IT staff disabled it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.