network printer questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Anarchy99, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

at my campus there are printers and i would do ip printing so i could print from my mac and not have to boot in to one of there pcs
    my osx install on my old laptop messed up (which didnt bother me cause i got a new one anyway)
    so if i pull out the hard drive and start looking where would ips of ip printers be stored in a 10.5 install

thanks

another question semi related (although not mac help so i dot expect answers)
    i though i would just relookup the ips with there winXP machines but this year when i ping printer name it cant find host
    yet the one printer i have the ip for when i ping it finds it
    anyone know why i cant ping printer name anymore?
    or another way to find printer ip addresses in XP

thanks again

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm not certain because I don't use IP printing myself, but you might be able to find the info in /Users/yourname/Library/Preferences. There are a number of files beginning with com.print, so you can take a look through those. You can read them with a plain text editor, or you can use the attached application if you prefer. It's a tool from Apple's free (but huge) development application Xcode, and should make the files a bit easier on the eyes.

Attached Files: