Network Printer Stops Working After a Couple of Weeks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Siron, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I have my HP Laserjet (which is Ethernet ready) connected to my Netgear router. I have the printer set up by using either the Line Printer Daemon (LPD) with IP address I have locked in my router 10.0.0.5, IP Printing Protocol (IPP) or HP Jetdirect - Socket. Everything works fine for a couple of weeks and then when I try to print I get a "Network is busy cannot connect to IP address 10.0.0.5 will try again in X minutes". It never does connect. I have to manually remove the printer and set it up again with either IP Printing Protocol (IPP) or HP Jetdirect - Socket and it works fine - until the next time.
    Am I doing something wrong here?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Nope, thats how cheap HP network printers work. They like to randomly crash.

3. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Hmm... very strange that you would have to reset your printer every couple of weeks through the router. I have a HP Color LaserJet 2605dn and it connects to my Linksys WRT54G wireless router via ethernet. I've only had to set it up once to the network when I bought it. Have you possibly tried using the default tab in the Print & Fax System Preference, and clicking on your networked printer there? I've used both the default tab and IP tab using LPD without any problems.

4. Siron thread starter macrumors 6502

Siron

The default tab is LPD. I've tried all three options and it does the same thing. Now it may go a month without a problem. Last time it happened I closed the lid on my MBA while it was sending the page to the printer which may have caused the problem.

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Are you using a print server attachment or is it built into the printer itself?

6. Siron thread starter macrumors 6502

Siron

It's built into the printer (it has an Ethernet port)