network printers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HARTH, Jul 9, 2008.

1. HARTH macrumors newbie

i have a network printer that is hosted trough usb on a windows computer have tried every method i know i try and connect to the printer but have been unsuccessful. the other windows computers on the network are able to use the printer fine but the macs are not. the printer is an HP 5600 series.
    is it possible for a mac to connect to that printer.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Have you read through this Apple Support article on this very issue? You might have strange characters in the description/comment, which is preventing Mac OS X from seeing the printer.

3. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

If it's hosted through a USB connection then it's not a true network printer. A network printer has a CAT 5 cable connector and can be hooked up directly to the network with its own IP address.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Are the HP drivers for Mac OS X for USB connection only? Many are for HP printers without an ethernet port. While Windows drivers usually support network printing; for Windows printer sharing.

I have used these third party drivers to do what you are trying with another HP model that had USB only drivers for Mac.

You may very well need HPIJS for Mac OS X. To work you would need to download the proper HPIJS version for your Mac, Foomatic-RIP, and the proper gplgs for your OS. All are listed on the linked page. When adding the printer make sure you choose the appropriate driver.

Actually these drivers give you more options in the print dialog than HP normally does.