network printing issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by johnh57, Jul 6, 2011.

1. johnh57 macrumors regular

We have qwest dsl wireless service. The main box is an HP box running Windows XP. The Hp is connected to the router via ethernet cable. We have a Xerox Phaser 6280dn printer hooked up to the xp box via USB.

I am trying to access the printer from my macbook pro 15 (2010). The macbook is running OS/x (latest update 6.7 I think) and running Windows 7 pro via bootcamp.

Running windows 7 under bootcamp, the xerox printer is recognized and I can print to it with no problems. Under OS/x the printer shows as being found, the drivers installed properly, and you can select it as a printer with no problems. But when you print to it nothing happens. The screen on the mac flashes something (too fast to read) and then there is nothing - nothing in the queue, nothing on the printer, nothing.

I installed bonjour for windows on the xp box - it can't find any printers (?)

Also have an hp photosmart connected via usb to the macbook - I have not tried to print to it from the xp box. I don't know that I would ever really need to do that. The photosmart is really to allow printing of 11x17 cad dwgs which I will only do from the W7 side of the mac.

john

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why on Earth would you do this? Ditch the USB connection. Your printer is a fully-networkable Bonjour-compatible printer. Use it as such. Connect your printer to your router via Ethernet. Now every computer on your LAN--wired or wireless--has equal access to the printer. On your Mac, it is a simple Bonjour selection.

Your printer fully supports Windows networking. However, Bonjour is less of a hassle. If setting-up the Xerox as a network printer in Windows proves to be a hassle, then download and install Bonjour for Windows from Apple's website. Easy as pie.

3. johnh57 thread starter macrumors regular

ok, thanks. Connected it into the ethernet connector of the router, moved the hp box to the usb port on the router (router has one ethernet and one USB port) mainly because I had the right cables. Reset the DCHP and generated an IP for the printer. It works on the hp under windows xp, and on the mac under os/x. I have not tried it under windows 7 on the mac, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out when I reboot under bootcamp.