Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
hi guys
i'm trying to access my printer on my pc wirelessly via my powerbook to print something with neo office but all i got was a lot of blank pages and a few with just numbers so i had to stop the printjob.
anything i'm doing wrong?
i added the printer from my network,i'm sharing it from my pc
is it a compatibility issue?
should i get the printer software for the powerbook and try to print wirelessly?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
sk3pt1c said:
hi guys
i'm trying to access my printer on my pc wirelessly via my powerbook to print something with neo office but all i got was a lot of blank pages and a few with just numbers so i had to stop the printjob.
anything i'm doing wrong?
i added the printer from my network,i'm sharing it from my pc
is it a compatibility issue?
should i get the printer software for the powerbook and try to print wirelessly?
If you don't have the correct driver installed, then you are not going to get the best results. Since you gave no hint as to which model printer you are using or which version OS you are using, there is precious little we can do to help you.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Is this the first time you've tried to print across the network? Can you print when you connect it direct to the computer? Can you print from any other applications?
If the answers are yes, no and no, then it sounds as though:
a) You haven't installed a printer driver, or you've installed the wrong one.
b) You haven't told the computer the correct path to the printer.
The first is more likely as the printer did actually respond, but not correctly.
I use the CUPS + Gimp Print v4.2.7 drivers with 10.4.3, printing to a network print server. However, you should be able to print via your PC easily. Load a WinXP printer driver for the DeskJet onto it and check you can print from the PC correctly. Use the printer setup utility on your Mac to add the printer. You need to know the IP address of the PC, and whether you need LPD or IPP as the protocol - you might have to try both.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
ok,let me explain
i have a pc laptop that is connected to my printer
i have drivers for it on the pc and everything,prints fine
this laptop is on our house's local wireless network
i am connecting to that network wirelessly on my powerbook
on the powerbook i have installed the drivers from hewlett packard
but to find the printer it needs the printer's IP, which i assumed is my pc's IP and i tried it but nothing happened
i can find the printer on the powerbook by "add new printer" and going to the network and picking it from my pc's shared items but it sends the file and giberish comes out
i have not tried to print from the powerbook itself(it should work) because i'm interested in printing wirelessly
i've also not tried to print from other apps because neo office is what i use and want to use for word documents
any further ideas?

edit:just connected the printer via usb to the powerbook and neo office prints just fine
i still can't print over the network though,and that was my initial intention

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
All these problems are easier to solve if you can eliminate the unknowns. I know what you're aim is (ie to print wirelessly from the Mac using NeoOffice) but to reach that idyllic state you need to eliminate some of the potential problems.
1. Can you print from the PC direct to the printer from any application? If no then install a WinXP driver, if yes then-
2. Can you print from the Mac directly to the printer in any application? If no install a Mac driver, if yes then you have got the right drivers installed.
(Note- you don't have to spend a lot of time and money on this, use Notepad, TextEdit, Safari, Internet Explorer or whatever to test this out).
3. If its only NeoOffice thats giving problems and everything else prints ok then its a NeoOffice problem and I can't help you.
4. Now connect wirelessly, and use terminal to ping your XP machine - in a terminal window type:
ping -c3 192.168.1.2 (or whatever your ip address is on the XP machine). You should get a reply, 3 replies to be precise. This will confirm that the machines can see each other, and it costs nothing!
5. Now use the Printer Setup Utility to add your printer, as I mentioned above. My guess is that you are using the wrong settings at this point, and I can't remember if you should use IPP or LDP - you'll have to experiment unless someone else hops on this thread and enlightens us both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.