Network Printing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KSpector, Jan 5, 2009.

1. KSpector macrumors newbie

Trying to help my son out. He has a PowerBook G4 with OS 10.4 on it. He is in a house that has an HP OfficeJet Pro L7680 connected to a wireless print server, a D-Link DRP-1260. He cannot get the PowerBook to print anything. There are a couple of PCs that have connected and printed with no problem, but he cannot get the Mac to do so. I assume there is some setting that is wrong. Anyone have any suggestions??????:confused:

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Has he gotten the latest drivers??

From ther HP site

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Questions like this have been asked and answered too many times to count.

HP drivers for your AOI are USB drivers written to the Carbon frameworks. They will not work over the network. You need to locate, download, and install a CUPS driver. You may then setup your printer as an IP printer using the IP address of the print server.

Alternatively, you may share your AOI under Windows as a generic PostScript (LaserWriter) printer. You may then setup your Windows machine as a print server. You may reverse the process and connect your AOI directly to your Mac. Then you may share it from your Mac as a generic PostScript printer. You may then use the LaserWriter print driver to print from your Windows machines.

Your Finder Help menu will tell how to go either way. You may also search this forum on "CUPS."

4. KSpector thread starter macrumors newbie

I will ask him to check on the drivers. I checked the HP website and it says that the printer is compatible with Mac OS X (10.3 and 10.4). He has 10.4 on it.

Do you think the problem is more in seeing the D-Link print server rather than the printer itself?

Thanks for the reply.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I could not have been clearer. The HP driver for MacOS X works only for a USB connection to your Mac. To communicate with a driver connected to a print server, you need a CUPS driver.

6. KSpector thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I will look into learning more about the CUPS driver.