Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tezmil1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hull, England
Hi all, just wondered if anyone can help.. I have iMac running yosemite latest version and the problem I have is that every time I switch it on another computer on our network gets disconnected and cannot connect to the internet but as soon as mac is shut down then it can connect straight away and just don't know what else to do.
I rang apple technical helpline and they had never experienced it before and got me to re download and over install yosemite but this hasn't worked.
I have also bought a new modem router but that didn't cure it either.
If anyone has experienced this before I would appreciate any help,

thanks, Terry

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
It sounds like an IP address conflict, both machines are attempting to use the same IP address. Verify both machines are set to use DHCP to obtain their IP addresses.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Thanks for the reply, Could you tell me what dhcp is and where to check this setting please,
thanks, Terry.

Well Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is what most home routers use to hand out IPs in a home network automatically.

The settings for DHCP are different from router to router since every manufacture of routers have their own unique Router interface. So you have yo tell us what router you have to answer your question.

In OS X you have go System Preferences->Network pane, Advanced button.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
This is the screen you want to get to in system preferences. Check the settings on both machines.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 9.36.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 9.36.55 PM.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 76

tezmil1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hull, England
Thanks for all your help, I have found the setting on my mac and it is set to use dhcp. However the other computer is a windows running 8.1 and don't seem to be able to find this setting on that one.
my router is a netgear D6200,

Thanks, Terry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.