Network problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rhett7660, Feb 21, 2008.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Hello..

Background: windows network. Windows 2000 server and windows xp pro machine, windows vista. Linksys 8 port router, verizon dsl modem.

When I connected my mac pro to the network it could see the other computers. When I clicked on them, I would get the error, could not connect.

Is there something I need to enable or do? So I can see the folders on the other machines?

If you need more information please let me know.

2. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

Is sharing / access to those machines enabled?

3. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yes. When I am on a windows machine I can see the folders etc. On the Mac is shows the computer name. When I click on the computer name that is when it gives me the failure to connect error.

4. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Just to give you an update. Now that I connected my dsl line I am unable to see the other computers. I don't know where I need to go in order to view them again. I tried the network button but that didn't work. I am new to the Mac network part of things....

5. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I'm having networking issues, as well. From my Macbook Air, I can access the other laptops in the network, but they are XP boxes. I can NOT see the Vista laptop that I have. CAN'T. I've done everything I know what to do to the Air and my Vista box, but still can NOT see it. I can see the networked Macbook Air from the Vista box, but can NOT access it from the Vista box. I have sharing via samba enabled on the Macbook, and the user id and password is the exact same on both. I just can NOT get to either one from the other machine.

Is there some sort of secret rain dance I have to do or what?

6. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

Vista has more intricate file sharing permissions than XP does.

Check your network sharing setting in vista, and turn off all the protection and password protected sharing and it should work, it does for me at least.

7. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Andy..

Do you know what I would need to do for XP or Server 2000? Right now the computers are not even showing up like they were.

8. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Well I was able to get it connected to my server! Now I am working on the Vista Machine. I will try what the previous poster stated and see if that works.

9. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

Enabling a sharing folder on XP and giving network users the right to Read & Write to it (I'm assuming this is your own private network so that kind of security is no issue) and it should work.

10. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

Also check firewall settings so they enable things worded such as "File Sharing" or "Network media sharing" etc..

11. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Andy...

Thanks for the replys... Working on the vista machine right now....

Thanks again.

12. BSartist macrumors newbie

Connect as?

I find that I have to use the connect as button and put in my windoze userID and password.

But I have another problem. Sometimes my other computers show up in the sidebar and sometimes not. I can manually force it to see them by go->connect_to_server and then using the smb: syntax. Then the "Shared" section shows up in the sidebar.

Anyone know why sometimes it's there automatically and some times not?

13. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Edited.. Started new thread for this question.